SHOP BY THEME
SHOP BY PRODUCT
A lively painting of Maharaja Takhat Singh (1813-1873) shows him playing polo with ladies of the court, confirming that polo has been an important part of Jodhpur life since at least the 19th century. In 1889, the first formal Jodhpur team was formed by the legendary Sir Pratap Singh. Within a few years, they were winning trophies in both India and England, and team members and their trademark jodhpuri breeches became a fashionable rage.
In 1993 H.H. Maharaja Gaj Singh decided to re-establish Jodhpur as a premier centre of equitation and polo. The Jodhpur team -- captained by the Jodhpur prince, Yuvraj Shivraj Singh -- has recaptured the glamour, and made its mark on the Indian and international polo scenes.
The Museum Shop is extremely proud to offer authentic Jodhpur Polo Team Shirts and other items, and to honour the spirit and courage of this splendid team.